Current:Home > StocksProvider of faulty computer system apologizes to hundreds affected by UK Post Office scandal -Capitatum
Provider of faulty computer system apologizes to hundreds affected by UK Post Office scandal
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:50:20
LONDON (AP) — Fujitsu, the company whose faulty computer accounting system resulted in the wrongful conviction of hundreds of Post Office branch managers across the U.K., apologized to the victims on Tuesday for its role in the country’s biggest ever miscarriage of justice and said it was long aware that the software had bugs.
Paul Patterson, Europe director of Japan’s Fujitsu Ltd., told a committee of lawmakers that the company has an obligation to help compensate the branch managers who, over decades, suffered from the failures of the accounting system, which was introduced in 1999, and were convicted of theft or fraud.
“I think there is a moral obligation for the company to contribute,” Patterson said. “To the sub-postmasters and their families, Fujitsu would like to apologize for our part in this appalling miscarriage of justice.”
Patterson said he had spoken with his bosses in Japan and that Fujitsu knew “from the very start” that the system, known as Horizon, had “bugs and errors,” and that it had helped the Post Office in its prosecutions of branch managers after unexplained losses were found in their accounts.
“For that we are truly sorry,” he said.
The Post Office’s chief executive, Nick Read, said it has earmarked around a billion pounds ($1.3 billion) for compensation and confirmed it would not pursue any further prosecutions. He also said it is actively looking to replace the much-changed Horizon system in its branches.
An official inquiry into the scandal is expected to apportion blame. In addition, Parliament’s Business and Trade Committee is trying to determine how to speed up compensation for the victims.
After the Post Office introduced the Horizon information technology system to automate sales accounting, local managers began finding unexplained losses that bosses said they were responsible to cover.
The Post Office maintained that Horizon was reliable and accused branch managers of dishonesty. Between 2000 and 2014, more than 900 postal employees were wrongly convicted of theft, fraud and false accounting, with some going to prison and others forced into bankruptcy.
The number of victims is not fully known, and it emerged Tuesday that hundreds more may have been affected by the faulty computer system.
A group of postal workers took legal action against the Post Office in 2016. Three years later, the High Court in London ruled that Horizon contained a number of “bugs, errors and defects” and that the Post Office “knew there were serious issues about the reliability” of the system.
Last week, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said legislation to reverse the convictions will be presented to lawmakers soon. It comes in the wake of a television docudrama that aired earlier this month and fueled public outrage.
The ITV show, “Mr. Bates vs. the Post Office,” told the story of branch manager Alan Bates, played by Toby Jones, who spent around two decades after he was dismissed trying to expose the scandal and exonerate his peers.
Bates, himself, told the inquiry that the compensation, which he described as “financial redress,” was “bogged down” and that the pace of processing claims was “madness.”
“I mean, there is no reason at all why full financial redress shouldn’t have been delivered by now,” he said. “It’s gone on for far too long. People are suffering, they’re dying.”
Wrongfully convicted former branch manager Jo Hamilton, one of the protagonists in the TV drama, said the compensation procedure was “almost like you’re being retried” and explained that she had been “gaslit” by the Post Office into thinking that it was her own fault that the numbers in the Horizon system did not add up.
Lawyer Neil Hudgell said the scandal may have affected “tens of thousands” of people if the families of victims were taken into account.
“There’s another class of people that cannot be compensated,” he said. “That’s the spouses, the children, the parents.”
He said some wives had miscarried from the stress of the situation and children had suffered behavioral disorders that meant they left school sooner than planned.
“So, the scandal is in the thousands, but it could be in the tens of thousands,” he said.
veryGood! (35745)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Paul Rusesabagina, Hotel Rwanda hero, arrives in U.S. after being freed from prison
- Angela Bassett, Hilary Duff and More Stars Share How They're Raising Strong Daughters
- Ukraine's Zelenskyy, with an eye on the West, warns of perils of allowing Russia any battlefield victory
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- U.S. drone strike in Syria kills ISIS leader who was plotting attacks in Europe, U.S. military says
- Richard Branson's Virgin Orbit to cut 85% of its workforce
- 2 dead, girl injured as hot air balloon catches fire outside of Mexico City
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Kristen Doute Details Exact Moment Ariana Madix Discovered Tom Sandoval and Raquel Leviss' Alleged Affair
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- This Affordable Amazon Swimsuit Is on Sale for Under $35 & Has Over 32,000 5-Star Reviews
- Cara Delevingne Shares Why She Checked Herself Into Rehab
- China says growing U.S. military presence on Philippine bases endangering regional peace amid Taiwan tension
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- 2 dead, girl injured as hot air balloon catches fire outside of Mexico City
- Boost Your Skin’s Hydration by 119% And Save 50% On This Clinique Moisturizer
- The Food Industry May Be Finally Paying Attention To Its Weakness To Cyberattacks
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
San Francisco drag legend Heklina reportedly found dead in London
Kristen Doute Details Exact Moment Ariana Madix Discovered Tom Sandoval and Raquel Leviss' Alleged Affair
A new law proposed in Italy would ban English — and violators could face fines of up to $110K
Small twin
Pope Francis leaves hospital; Still alive, he quips
Garcelle Beauvais Has Thoughts About Her Son Oliver Saunders Kissing Raquel Leviss on VPR
19 Women-Founded Clothing Brands To Shop During Women's History Month & Every Month